2.02.2009

Making Homemade Baby Food

...Isn't for everyone...otherwise Gerber wouldn't have such a successful business. If I was still working, I could clearly not be whipping up my own baby food. I'd be opting for the convenience factor and going for jarred baby food. I'm sure I'll buy a jar or two at some point, because let's face it, it's so much easier! But, I am fortunate enough to have a little extra time, so I plan on making some of my own. It's actually pretty simple to make your own homemade baby food. Who knows it may mean a child who's not such a picky eater down the road.

Many pediatricians will recommend starting with rice cereal. (Here's more on my rather humorous first attempt at introducing solids to my daughter.) This, you must buy.

However, once your baby has graduated to fruits and vegetables you can make them in your own kitchen. The easiest way to do this is to clean and cut the vegetables, steam them and then puree in a food processor. You'll first want to start with things like carrots, squash, and beans. You don't need to add any salt or anything to flavor the veggies. You want your baby to learn the true taste of food so they don't become a picky eater later on. This can become a problem if your baby eats jarred baby foods that have additives like sugar and salt. It's also a good idea to start with one veggie at a time for a few days so you can make sure your baby doesn't have any allergies to it.  


I've also included links where you can find step-by-step directions for making homemade baby food recipes for various fruits and vegetables
If your baby gets bored or you're looking for other ideas, there are countless ways to make homemade baby food as is proven in Blender Baby Food: Over 125 Recipes for Healthy Homemade Meals.



**New Mama Tip: Save precious mommy time and reduce food waste by making large batches of  homemade baby food and freezing them in ice cube trays or try the Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food Kit. Frozen baby food will keep for up to two months in the freezer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

New Mama's Store