2.10.2009

Guilty Pleasure

That's my guilt and my daughter's pleasure.
It's all brought on by this little thing called the television. Doesn't matter if it's Baby Einstein or the NFL the tube can somehow magically lull her into a baby trance when there's nothing else that will.
I know I can't be the only mom who feels a tad bit guilty plopping my daughter in front of the tv..but sometimes, for just a second of peace and quiet, it seems like my only ally. 

Take for example this picture. No, not my handsome husband...I want you to notice my daughter. She isn't looking at me, she's staring straight ahead at the television. (Apparently she's already an Eagles fan).

For awhile letting her watch tv bothered me. I don't want to raise a couch potato. Plus, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends no tv for kids under two years old. If you follow that guideline you should be nominated for mom of the year. Seriously, it's hard not only to entertain young babies all day long, but sometimes it's the only thing that will calm my daughter down.
I wonder how many pediatricians honestly follow this standard with their own children. Sometimes it's hard for me to get anything done...a good teeth brushing or a run of the vacuum...without the help of the television.

I try very hard to limit my daughter's television trance to 30 minutes a day. I recognize that no matter how entertaining Baby Einstein is to her it's not teaching her much...not compared to what I can be teaching her through play and communication. But let's be honest, how many of us are learning from television. I flip it on for a little relaxation and entertainment myself.  

So while I feel a little guilty cracking open Baby Einstein, this new mama is a lot more of a pleasure to be around when she's had a shower and a cup of tea...all courtesy of the television of course!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

New Mama's Store