4.15.2013

Yummy roasted brussel sprouts that even picky kids will eat


Brussel sprouts aren't exactly the most kid-friendly food.  I can remember my parents tempting bribing me to eat them with the lure of a quarter.  That was big time. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to give brussel sprouts a try again.   I didn't really have a trick up my sleeve for getting my picky 4 year old to try them.  In fact, I was pretty much not even planning on even going there, until she inquired.  I told her they were like little lettuces that I cooked for a few minutes in the oven.  She loves salad and it turns out, she loved roasted brussel sprouts too. 

They're seriously the simplest thing to make.  Just buy a bag of fresh brussel sprouts at the grocery store and in 5 minutes they'll be in the oven cooking.  Here's how I prepare them:
  • Preheat the oven to 375.  
  • Cut the ends off the brussel sprouts and then cut them in half.
  • Put the brussel sprouts in a single layer on a cookie sheet. 
  • Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over them.
  • Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. 
  • Use a spatula to gently coat all of the brussel sprouts and all of the outer leaves that fall off (leave these on the pan, they crisp up like little brussel sprout chips)
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes
I like to serve them with a perfectly cooked steak which can also be done in the oven (gasp!)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

New Mama's Store