10.14.2011

The best digital cameras for kids - New Mama Approved

Nikon D3000 - great for shooting kids
If you're like me you have one of those convenient point and click digital cameras that you can stick in your diaper bag, purse or hubby's pocket on a family outting. But if you're like me you also have a whole bunch of pictures taken a good second or two after the 'money shot' or at least your kid's smile.

We really started to realize how many shots we were missing when my now 3 year old daughter started moving and grooving around the age of 1. So with her and our five year anniversary trip to Hawaii in the back of our minds - we decided it might be time to look into a better digital camera. We wanted a digital camera that could snap pictures almost instantly to avoid that dreaded delay.  We settled on the fact that we wanted a DSLR - a beginner level SLR - in layman's terms 'one of those big cameras with the lenses.'



Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS
We ended up with the Nikon D3000. It's a beginner level DSLR and in my opinion one of the best digital cameras for taking pictures of kids - especially for a novice like myself. Between me and my group of friends we all either have the Nikon D3000 or the competing Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS.


Since I only have the Nikon D3000 I can only speak to that - but it did take a little getting used to. For one thing you have to look into the eye hole to take the picture - a live view preview does not appear on the view finder screen. Also, it does not take videos like my little Canon Elph does.  It also has a 'guide' setting which allows you to basically input the type of setting, lighting and situation you are in to get the right settings.  Admittedly, however, I rarely use this because by the time I set the thing up that money shot I was talking about is well past.

Here are some of my favorite pictures and why I think the Nikon D3000 is one of the best digital cameras for kids. I included a variety of situations - including outside, nighttime, action, and inside and you can see the pictures came out great!

What type of camera are you using to document your kids' lives? 

My son's in focus, not the background

Nightime outside - night setting

Inside - but not washed out

On 'kids' setting the D3000 captures the action without being blurry

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

New Mama's Store