8.12.2009

Daily Feeding Schedule Post-Breastfeeding


Trying to figure out a daily feeding schedule as I weaned my 1 year old from breastfeeding was more of the same: trial and error. But I think I've finally figured out baby feeding schedule that works for her appetite. The challenge was filling in the holes left now that she's no longer nursing.

This is her...I just imagine her saying "Call me anytime, just don't call me later for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, or dinner."


As I explained previously weaning was a gradual process, which gave me some time to get the whole feeding thing down to a science. Now, I kind of think of her daily feeding schedule similar to the adult recommendation of six small meals a day. Before I show you a side by side comparison of my baby's feeding schedule from 9-12 months there's something else to factor in. As my daughter quickly approaches the one year mark, not only is her eating schedule changing, so are her daytime sleep patterns. Because she's going down for naps, even 30 to 60 minutes later than just a month ago, it's made the meal/snack issue easier. (Keep in mind, at this age (and until about 15-18 months) most babies are still taking two naps.)

Let's compare how the daily feeding schedule has changed over the last few months.

So what's a "snack" you ask? Well, that's a whole other post, but I'll be nice and give you few, dare I say...toddler...snack ideas as a preview.

Sippy cup of whole milk (babies should be getting 18-24 oz of whole milk every day) + one of the following:

Half a banana
Plain Whole Milk Organic Yogurt mixed with fruit or apple sauce
Three or four crackers with cream cheese
Slice of cheese served with half a peach/pear/apple

I've found tons of great baby food recipe ideas and inspiration on WholesomeBabyFood.com. They also have a sister site WholesomeToddlerFood.com for older children.

For endless meal ideas for babies and (even picky) toddlers check out the following recommendations. (The Petit Appetite Cookbook is full of organic recipes).



Related Baby Foodie Posts
Weaning directly from breast to whole milk (in a cup)
Making Homemade Baby Food
Why Milk Products, But No Milk Before 1?

1 comment:

Michele said...

Thanks for all these posts! I am still trying to figure out how to work in solids and these really help give me an idea of what is appropriate. Congrats on the weaning, I am sure it was such a change!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

New Mama's Store